Your Potential and Attitude
Considering the nature of the project we are looking for exceptional, enthusiastic candidates with the technical background specified hereafter, but also with a great dedicated team spirit and thirst for knowledge. Even if deep knowledge in each of the subtopics is needed, this is no project for single players and neither is the group where you will be working in. Extra personal training is arranged to support and ensure that.
In order to be successful in this position you will need to:
- Be an excellent scientist.
- Be a team player trying to involve people in your research and try to being involved in research of others to multiply the effect of collaborations.
- Have a clear open and transparent communication attitude.
- Be highly motivated to achieve excellence in the interest of science and engineering innovation
On the basis of deep mathematical system theoretical and physical analysis, we want to find the best motion and deformation of wings during flapping flight in order to achieve proper thrust, asymmetrically stear and possibly take-off, land and perch. In order to do that, we intend to design the (elastic) mechanisms which would allow all this and the corresponding driving trains and mechanical energy buffers to do all this in an energetically efficient way. In order to get there, likely many intermediate designs will be needed and tested in the wind tunnel. The material of the wings together with sensing will be part of the work of another Ph.D. student in the team. Your research will address mechanism design, elastic smart structures and actuation trains. You need to hold a Master in Mechanical Engineering with a clear curriculum and skills in mechanical design.
You will be appointed on a fulltime position for four years within a very stimulating scientific environment. The university offers a dynamic ecosystem with enthusiastic colleagues. Salary and conditions are in accordance with the collective labour agreement for Dutch universities (CAO- NU).
- Salary ranging from € 2.222,- gross at the start to € 2840 gross in the fourth year
- Excellent benefits including a holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary and a year-end bonus of 8.3% and a solid pension scheme
- A training program in which you and your supervisor will make up a plan for additional suitable education and supervision
How to Apply
Before we consider your application, we need to receive the following electronic documents:
- CV with possible references to be contacted.
- Motivation letter clearly specifying why you satisfy the requirements and why we should choose you among all possible candidates (Max 1 page).
- Official document attesting your University performance with grades and norming with respect to the country grade system you are coming from.
- List of publications as well as a pdf of the one or two publications you are most proud of. For applicants which just received a Master degree, if no publications are available, please send the digital version of the master thesis.
Together with other information which can be found in the application form you can find in the following link:
Due to the expected high number of applications, it will likely not be possible to answer questions timely unless absolutely necessary. Please submit the required material first via the previous link and indicate any special conditions or questions in your motivation letter. For more practical application questions during the submission, please contact Jolanda Boelema-Kaufmann (assistant of Prof. Stramigioli).