Your Potential and Attitude
Considering the nature of the project we are looking for exceptional, enthusiastic candidates with the technical background specified hereafter, but also with a great dedicated team spirit and thirst for knowledge. Even if deep knowledge in each of the subtopics is needed, this is no project for single players and neither is the group where you will be working in. Extra personal training is arranged to support and ensure that.
In order to be successful in this position you will need to:
- Be an excellent scientist.
- Be a team player trying to involve people in your research and try to being involved in research of others to multiply the effect of collaborations.
- Have a clear open and transparent communication attitude.
- Be highly motivated to achieve excellence in the interest of science and engineering innovation
One of the prime goals of the project is to describe the bilateral interaction between the airflow and the flapping wing of a (robotic) bird. This will not be done using the classical vector calculus usually used in these field, but using the language of differential forms to describe the variable boundary conditions PDEs. Eventually this will allow to describe everything using a port-Hamiltonian infinite dimensional description. The mathematical work will be supported by another PostDoc and Ph.D. student with a more mathematical background, but your work together with a PostDoc with a similar background in aerodynamics and continuous mechanics will be to use your physical knowledge of aero- and continuous-mechanics during the conceptual part, numerical discretisation of the PDEs, (distributed) simulations and experimental testing in the wind tunnel. For the latter it may be necessary to develop a new particle imaging technology system.
You need to hold a Master in Fluid Mechanics and have excellent theoretical qualities as well as the practical experimental capabilities.
You will be appointed on a fulltime position for four years within a very stimulating scientific environment. The university offers a dynamic ecosystem with enthusiastic colleagues. Salary and conditions are in accordance with the collective labour agreement for Dutch universities (CAO- NU).
- Salary ranging from € 2.222,- gross at the start to € 2840 gross in the fourth year
- Excellent benefits including a holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary and a year-end bonus of 8.3% and a solid pension scheme
- A training program in which you and your supervisor will make up a plan for additional suitable education and supervision
How to Apply
Before we consider your application, we need to receive the following electronic documents:
- CV with possible references to be contacted.
- Motivation letter clearly specifying why you satisfy the requirements and why we should choose you among all possible candidates (Max 1 page).
- Official document attesting your University performance with grades and norming with respect to the country grade system you are coming from.
- List of publications as well as a pdf of the one or two publications you are most proud of. For applicants which just received a Master degree, if no publications are available, please send the digital version of the master thesis.
Together with other information which can be found in the application form you can find in the following link:
Due to the expected high number of applications, it will likely not be possible to answer questions timely unless absolutely necessary. Please submit the required material first via the previous link and indicate any special conditions or questions in your motivation letter. For more practical application questions during the submission, please contact Jolanda Boelema-Kaufmann (assistant of Prof. Stramigioli).